Jerusalem and the Templars

Preston Pittman preston_pittmanaHOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 8 07:53:05 PDT 2001

good topic, Rosina!  The Templars didn't actually completely disappear.
King James of Aragon had been raised by the Master of the Templars in Spain
and he refused to arrest them and gave them refuge by changing the name of
the order.  I don't remember what they became, but I have it written down -
I'll have to look it up.  (They may have eventually merged with the Knights
of Malta, although I think the Knights of Malta have a separate origin.)
The Templars were also given refuge in Scotland.  Many scholars believe that
the Masons have their origins in the Templar refugees in Scotland.

I don't know of a biography per se of Saladin (Sala-u-din) in English but
there is a wonderiful 3 volume history of Islam that includes an important
section on him in the second volume, which covers the crusades and the
reconquista.  The series is "the venture of Islam" and it is in print, in
paperback.  I'll get the particulars for you, (author, isbn#, price) if you
are interested.

peace,
Preston