sites & Shields

John Wordsman jwords62aHOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 1 06:29:16 PDT 2001

Rosina, It lasts more than months. I am still home sick.

The Old Testament is full of accounts where God intervenes on one side or
other. This is usually accompanied by an explanation of why God would do
this. As a retired military person I can well understand Alphonso’s prayer
and the strong belief that St. James, an apostle of Christ, would come to
the rescue of his troops. Just as Shirley, with her active artist’s mind, is
quite sure of the things she discovered on the Camino.
On May 1st 2000 I found myself dragging my way down that long tortuous
sidewalk into Burgos.
A gang of young people who, I had met the night before, called and waved as
their buss passed heading into the city. Up ahead of me I saw other pilgrims
waving as the bus passed and I recognized members of a cohort group that had
formed in San Juan de Ortega. I hurried to catch up with them to see it they
knew where the refugio was. I had long sense lost my guidebook and maps but
Raquel and Nancy had Allison’s book and had a handle on where things were.
When I discovered that the refugio was at the other end of the city my hart
sank. I was done in by now and maybe those young people had the right idea
taking the bus through town. Just as this thought entered my mind, Raquel
explaining that this was May Day and all the hotels were full said that she
had a solution that did not include a bus. She had encountered a Friend of
St. James who told her of a hostel that would have room. It was on the Plaza
de El Cid not far from where we were.
Contemplating the statue of El Cid it occurred to me what the image of St.
James Mooreslayer must have meant to those ancient military types. Courage
does not stand-alone. It is supported by the sure and powerful belief that
your cause is just and your efforts are valuable. With these beliefs as
underpinnings the support of your patron saint is expected and will be
expressed in the context of the times.
We, from a much more sophisticated view, may wonder at this gory
representation of our patron, but remember our needs are not for the
Mooreslayer but for the pilgrim with whom we can identify.
L&Pjjjj