sites & Shields & Santiago things

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue May 1 07:50:33 PDT 2001

Hello you all,
First off, I do believe that the list-serv members would be extremely
interested in the statements and impressions contained in those messages
which you have sent me directly (for which I am happy and thankful), such as
the shell-like dome of the Mezquita in Cordoba,  what motivates a New Zealand
pilgrim, etc.  I am persuaded ll the list members would very much want to
know what you've written about, so maybe we should share the wealth.
Second off,  trying to remember the entire verse engraved on the wall of the
archeological site in Sevilla I realized that the ancient Roman name for
Sevilla was Italica.... not Iberica  (sorry!)
As to other things:  the name of the building in Sevilla close to the
Cathedral which houses the Archives is "Archivos de las Indias".
Unfortunately, it does not lend itself to browsing; one pretty much has to
know what one is looking for and ask for it.  The documents are written in
15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century Spanish, so they are not easy
to read, and, alas, there are no translators.
They do have on display some illustrations, although not many, so I would
think a visit worthwhile nevertheless.  To see the first drawings of Mexican
Indians and the first crude maps of Mexico and Central America gives one
quite an emotional jolt.
The Cathedral of Seville has a very beautiful and richly detailed Tomb of
Columbus, precisely on the side of the Cathedral where the door leads to the
Archives. (The Dominicans, by the way, have what they believe to be the tomb
of Columbus in their own Cathedral in Santo Domingo). Also buried in the
Sevilla Cathedral, in another place, are Columbus' sons and Portuguese wife.
The Cathedral of Seville is unlike any other.  It has no towers, no cupolas,
no domes and it is overwhelmingly majestic.  Its architects, way back when,
are reputed to have said "Let us build such a Cathedral that future
generations will believe that we were mad". It is really something else.
Linda's Santiago book says that at one point she spent six hours in the
Burgos Cathedral with other pilgrims.  I think that six days would not
suffice to see in full all the artistic treasures in the Sevilla one.  Also,
the churches in the Camino often covered their images in metal so that you
can only see the face..... beginning with our Lady of Roncesvalles.  Not so
in the Sevilla Cathedral which does not have too many images anyway.  What
serves as a tower for the Cathedral is the "Giralda"  which was built by the
moors to call people to prayer, (I forget what the structure is called) and
which is the tallest and most beautiful of its kind, anywhere.  Consonant
with the original Moorish origin of the site, the Cathedral also contains a
very beautiful olive trees garden. (No cloisters)
There seems to be an increased interest in the Silver Camino, which starts in
Sevilla. That Camino is 200 kms. longer than the French Way and 100 kms.
longer than the Aragonese way  and it goes through Merida, Monasterio,
Salamanca, etc., and meets the French Way in Astorga.
Much as I love Sevilla more than almost anyplace else, and plan to spend my
waning years there, (or in Assissi), my next pilgrimage will be on the
Aragonese way and from Puente de la Reina the old French one..
- I received a mailing from the Santiago Archdiocese yesterday and have much
to tell you about it...... but have to run now.
Affectionate regards to you all
Rosina