Didn't quite make it...perhaps on account of the lack of an inner frame

pieter pannevis p.pannevisaCHELLO.NL
Mon Jun 18 05:58:54 PDT 2001

Backpacks are coming in all shapes and sizes.
With boots they are the most important things to pilgrims !
In principal there are three kinds of backpacks
* No frame
* Inner-frame
* Outer frame
The first is not useful for the weight is not transported evenly to our back
and shoulders.
An inner frame is a kind of metal strip inside the back of the pack
adjustable to your body length and to a certain degree to shape of your
spinal column
The backpacks rests more or less against your back. You're carrying the
weight by the strap around your waist which is resting at your hips ( a
weird thing I know, to say, but I'll hope you understand). The backpack
keeps to you with the shoulder straps, going up the mountain you pull the
back pack to you with these straps, going down, you loosen a bit in order to
have your balance point of weight at your feet implant. Never you should
carry your backpack at your shoulder or feel the weight there !
An outer frame is what is says and rests with straps against your back.
There is no possibility of adjusting to your length, but there is an airflow
between the pack and your back. To the frame you can attach several things
So the weight of the backpack itself is important, but not that important
that you go for the lightest one, the one without frame !
Happy walking, happy Camino !
pieter