another question - re: rain gear

Delphia Dirks delphiadaEARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jun 17 20:11:12 PDT 2001

I've heard commentary about rain gear.. and that the 'poncho"  "ponco?"  is
uncomfortable and clumsy, etc.   seems reasonable to me.   The sports stores
have some lovely light jackets/ pants for rainy weather --with the jackets
actually good for almost anytime.  It is the pants that I am wary of.
Looks to me like they would be very hot and uncomfortable.  Do I take my
shorts or trousers off, or wear these over them?    If over, then its'
really hot!.   I PRESUME  (frequently inaccurately) that any rain in August/
Sept will be mostly a warm rain.    So, I ask, what difference does it make
if my legs get wet???  It might be more comfortable than rain pants which
just make me sweat more??  Someone earlier mentioned bringing 'spats' to
cover their shoes during the rains, and I think I can  design such an item
to take care of the shoes...and with a hip-length jacket (and waterproof
packpack),  let the rains come!!

What is the wisdom of those who have experienced the rains along the
Camino???

I keep remembering that as a child my mom used to let us take our clothes
off (well, most of them) and run around in the rain.   But then, it didn't
rain much in South Dakota in the 30's!

I just want to buy and carry the least possible.   .... and take my chances
on the rain!

thanks in advance.... delphia dirks