Didn't quite make it...

Howard Murphy HmcellardykeaAOL.COM
Sun Jun 17 08:42:54 PDT 2001

In a message dated 17/06/01 08:37:38 GMT Daylight Time, rirwinaUSAOR.NET
writes:

I've been debating for the past two weeks whether to even write here again
because I didn't make it
the whole way and am just starting to come to grips with this fact. Now
though, I feel that I need
to write this as a sort of "therapy" process for myself. In the end it wasn't
my legs that did me in.....................................

Dear Russ,
Many thanks for your detailed message to the list I look forward to reading
it after I download it.

Yes, the feelings of disappointment will be with you and if you allow them to
they can take over your thoughts to leave an indelible mark. However even
after reading a few lines I feel this will not happen, you do right to begin
thinking of your next stage of the pilgrimage and now you have time to select
the best rucksack and time also to strengthen your back and begin a training
routine.
Also keep writing to the list your experiences can and will be of benefit to
others.

The main thing to remember is you began a very special journey and how many
people do not even get that far. It is also a stage of the journey you can
now cross off your itinerary and move forward to the next stages so keep your
Pilgrim's Passport safe.

Having travelled all over the world I know that on returning home you can
feel very low in spirits but it will not last. I had to give up longhaul
travels in 1986 due to poor health but many are the happy times when sitting
in the chair I have relived each journey and been refreshed by the happy
memories.

I am looking for a way to make the pilgrimage despite health problems and
lack of mobility so your account of the journey will provide information on
the good and the bad.

So take heart and remember at least you 'Didn't quite make it' you made it
and made a beginning on a journey that you can now plan to finish.

 I am a 62 year old (63-June 28) male disabled due to chronic illness but for
many, many years have had the dream of following the Pilgrims Way; my
disabilities are such that walking can be difficult. Despite all that I do
know that dreams come true it is just a matter of finding a way to
accommodate these difficulties. As a boy I had the walls of my bedroom
covered in maps, pictures and articles on the Far East and my head always
full of dreams of going to these places. These dreams came true.
My other dreams were of the China Tea Clippers and I have not only visited
their ports of call but now live in the area from where the owners, captains
and crew of the crack tea clipper; Taeping, Ariel, Cutty Sark came from.
So yes, dreams do come true.

I also have a full-time carer, Ann, who is willing to make the pilgrimage
with me.

I have the thought of making a website giving details of this dream journey
following the route to Santiago de Compostela. Then if not able to make the
pilgrimage in person I can at least do it via my website; if you can help
with photographs or whatever I will be obliged.
Did you notice any pilgrims using a donkey or donkey and cart?

I will value and appreciate any help and information you can provide.

Perhaps we will meet along the trail, me with a donkey and cart and you
striding it out.
Every Blessing to you.
 From Howard

Hmcellardykeaaol.com