train from Bilbao to Pamplona

Edie Bennett pacificonaEARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jun 16 13:35:54 PDT 2001

As a recently returned pilgrim who walked from St. Jean Pied de Port to
Santiago, I'll just make a comment on Delphia's question of whether to start
from Roncesvalles or St. Jean when time may be limited.  Many of the
pilgrims I met this May and early June were facing a "deadline" to reach
Santiago by a certain date, and were a bit compromised -- some "over-walked"
and ended up with blisters or tendon strains, and others wound up taking a
bus or train to keep to their schedules.  I heard it said many times, "I
wish I could just relax and enjoy the Camino," and "If I had it to do over
again, I'd take more time."

And although the route over the Pyrenes is beautiful, it can be challenging,
especially in sleet or snow, as happened to many of us in May.

Pieter is right about Pamplona and its special ambiance.  Although I had no
reservation, I walked into the Hotel La Perla, asked for a room "con vista",
and, despite my muddy boots and generally frightening appearance, was given
a wonderful room with a view of the central plaza.  Being a Hemingway fan, I
spent a whole day there and next door at the Cafe Iruna, writing in my
journal.

Very best wishes and Buen Camino,

Edie from California