train from Bilbao to Pamplona

Delphia Dirks delphiadaEARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jun 16 08:26:47 PDT 2001

Thanks  Pieter.... I really do want to spend a bit of time in Pamplona also
and maybe would be best to stay over upon arrival and go to Roncesvalles the
next day.  I have to count my days.   I have the idea that I 'should' do the
whole thing by going to SJPP... and walk over the mountain.   Or I could
start in Roncesvalles.  Others have spoken of the beauty of going over the
mountain...and I don't want to miss that, but I also want a few days in the
end to spend in Madrid & environs.  Plus stopping along the way.  Maybe I
should spare myself the mountain climb.  I'll see.    --I will be 67 yrs
before I finish the trip...have been doing some 10mile hikes and this am
went for 5 (unexpectedly in the rain).  Physically, I don't think I'll have
any problems...  my heritage is Swiss and German--  hardy as the Dutch, I
suppose!  The women on both sides of my family live well into their 90's.

Did you stay at the hotel La perla?   From Washington,DC one gets Span-Air
(not Iberia--that goes from NY or Boston) and they do not fly to Pamplona.
It was fine with me to fly on to Bilbao and take the train back to P--I
wanted to go to Bilbao anyway  and my travel recommended hotel Lopez de
Haro... where Frank Ghery stays when he is there (you know, FG did the
Guggenheim fantasia museum).  In an earlier email someone mentioned not
getting a reservation through the trv agents as the price is double or so.
However, I looked it up on the inet and the inet price was the same as the
travel agents.  In this case.

Thanks again for your help.... delphia