Yahoo clubs

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Wed Jun 6 16:36:42 PDT 2001

Members of these groups might be interested to know that Yahoo has a
category called "Clubs" and that the Santiago pilgrimage is the focus of
some of those clubs. The groups (e.g. Santiagobis and saintjames) had
been managed by a company, that was later swallowed by Yahoo. Yahoo
never did really integrate the groups into its system. It is still
necessary to log on to the groups separately, although the home page of
Yahoo groups allows us to click on to Yahoo itself. Yahoo also made
certain changes in the managing of the groups that not everyone is happy
about, but that is beside the point.

To find the Yahoo clubs, go to the Yahoo home page and click on the word
"clubs", which is the third choice in a line that is entitled "Connect."
It comes right after "chat" which probably also has some Santiago
connections. On the clubs page, a search of Santiago provides 26 hits
(as of this moment) and includes many things unrelated to the
pilgrimage, such as the city in the Dominican Republic and a person
whose surname is Santiago. To narrow it down a bit, I used Santiago de
Compostela. This gave just two hits. One of these had only three
messages in a year and a half and was dropped. There is a welcoming
message, one response, and a notification of closing. The other club,
"Santiago de Compostela," is not large but seems to be thriving. The
most recent messages on it have been discussions of books about the
pilgrimage and there are some pictures in the archives. I didn't
recognize any names from the groups that I have subscribed to, but I did
only a token search. I believe that there are other pilgrimage clubs in
the list, but again, I just did a brief check.