the camino

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Wed Jun 6 09:25:09 PDT 2001

Hello Martha,
The Santiago Cathedral's pilgrims'  Mass is at 12:00 noon.  If you get there
earlier you can go to the front and, with your pilgrim's credential, ask to
be seated in the roped in area reserved for pilgrims right by the altar.  If
you are there in August you will have the Botafumeiro swing right on top with
you and will cherish the memory for the rest of your days.
We booked our flight directly from New York City to Pamplona (via Iberia).
In Pamplona we took the 6:00 p.m. pilgrims' bus to Roncesvalles and got there
in time to receive our pilgrim credentials and to attend the loving and
touching Pilgrim's  blessing and service at 8:00 p.m.  After the service we
took a taxi to Saint Jean's, at a cost of about $6 each, and got there on
time to check into our (prearranged) hotel and have dinner at a charming
French inn. About twenty other pilgrims did the same as we.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Liz (from New York City)