planning to walk

Jane Engel jengelaLAPLAZA.ORG
Thu Jul 26 10:03:55 PDT 2001

Hi Ida,

One book I've just finished reading which I've found very helpful and
interesting is Nancy Louise Frey's book: Pilgrim Stories: On and Off the
Road to Santiago. It was published by the University of California in 1998
- and is basically the author's doctoral dissertation. It is therefore
somewhat academic, but not difficult to read.

What I found so helpful and useful in reading this book after I returned
from walking part of the Camino in May, was confirmation that feelings and
thoughts which I've found hard - read  almost impossible! - to articulate
is something many other pilgrims have experienced after returning home from
walking the Camino. Nancy Frey points out that many people need to stay
connected  to the Camino through listserves such as this, in order to
integrate feelings and experiences after their return home. I know this has
been very true for me.

BTW, did anyone else hear the piece Maria Martin did yesterday morning on
NPR's Morning Edition celebrating the Feast day of St. James in which she
talked about the Camino? If you missed it, you can find it at
http://www.npr.org Then search the archives either by Maria Martin's name
or, as I did, Santiago Pilgrimage.

Jane Engel

~~~~~~~~