planning to walk

Diane Grust DEG33aAOL.COM
Thu Jul 26 12:17:36 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/26/01 13:48:46, jengelaLAPLAZA.ORG writes:

>http://www.npr.org

Thanks for the npr clip it was really interesting.

As to guides I brought no maps (follow the yellow arrows) but I did bring the
confraternity of Saint James  Guide for the Camino Frances.  These guides
give a town by town breakdown of refugios, small inns, bars  etc and then
some wise warnings about what to pack etc.  They are small lightweight and
fit in my jacket pocket which is where I kept it and constantly referred to
it.

I did also bring Linda Davidson's book  but it just got too heavy and I left
it at a refugio in Granon.  I walked the Camino in one month and I was not
taking any time off to sightsee so I just gave up the weight since I was not
using the book.  However,  I do think it is a great book and I repurchased it
after I returned.

So Ida the St. James guides are available by mail from their web site
www.csj.org.uk.  I ordered my about two weeks before I was to leave and
received it in time (although I would not plan on that).  Anyway,  you have
to decide what the purpose of your Camino is and how long you are going to do
it for.  If you are going to be walking in a month I would be really careful
about the weight of everything guide included.  I think that is one of the
hardest parts of the preparation is not bringing all the things that tempt
you.  Hope this helps.