About myself / dog question

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Fri Jul 13 09:27:05 PDT 2001

Dear Leanne:
I presume that you want to take your dog on the Camino because of love,
companionship or both.  May I suggest that you consider the effects of such
major and, yes, difficult and oftentimes uncomfortable effort on your dog?
There is a related book that you might wish to read in consideration of your
affection for your dog-friend.  The name of the book is "The emotional life
of dogs" and it highlights those things which may affect a dog's well being
and about which we two-legged animals, are blissfully and sometimes sadly
unaware.
I planned to take my dog with me when I made the pilgrimage last summer; in
fact, I planned the trip for years with my dog in mind. After consulting a
few vets, one of whom suggested that I read the above cited book, I left my
inseparable and beloved little companion home, and every day that I was on
the Camino I was very glad that I did not bring her along, as I could
actually see the stress and discomfort of the few dogs that I saw
accompanying pilgrims.
I would urge you earnestly to give further thought to your plans and to read
the book.
With affectionate wishes,
Elizabeth Boylston-Morris (from New York City)