Allergies & water

Marty & John Volz srjandmaEARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jul 13 08:22:14 PDT 2001

Karen:

I agree with Randy - if you have identified allergies, you should get
prescriptions before you leave and use as needed there.  The local
pharmacies in Spain are excellent.  They  would be able to provide over the
counter equivalents and might be able to get you refills for similar
medication, but unless you are fluent in Spanish or have the generic name of
your prescription/favorite remedy  written down, you might not have very
good luck getting exactly what you want.  There are LOTS of choices.

(I am reminded of a funny attempt to get a pepto bismol equivalent for an
upset stomach - we had used up our supply from home and my husband was
recovering from a stomach/fever bug he had picked up in Leon.  I had some
little Spanish and wrote down what I thought I wanted, and the pharmacist
kept pulling out indigestion (tums & gas-x) type over-the-counter stuff.  To
the amusement of the staff, I finally pantomined vomiting & diarreah
symptoms to get something stronger....  I got what we needed, but it was
hysterical at the time.!)

Re bottled water - it is available everywhere but unless a particular town
water did not taste very good, we used local water mostly.  No adverse
effects that we know of and we were a group of 4 when in Spain.  However,
when hot, a chilled bottle of water truly hits the spot.

Marty & John Volz
Pilgrims in '96 & '00