Cycling the Camino

Marty & John Volz srjandmaEARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jul 13 08:04:36 PDT 2001

Nels -

My husband and I have cycled the camino two times - once in 1996 and again
in 2000.  We did Pamploma to Santiago in 12 days in 96 and returned in 2000
with the goal of taking more time (less mileage per day) so we could more
fully explore the sights and events of the villages and towns along the way.
In 2000, we cycled from Paris to Santiago in 45 days, with about 3 wks in
France and 3 wks in Spain, crossing the border at St. Jean Pied de Port.

I have diaries from both trips in Word which we would be happy to share with
you.  The documents have both cycling info (distances and terrain, routings
& comments) and travelogue type info.  We also have lots of digital photos
from the second trip so there are pictures as well.

We used a combination of books for routing info, starting with the
Confraternity guide, and supplemented by maps, one cycling book, a Dutch
detailed route map (similar to the other English versions we had, but with
some good alternate routes which were  documented in the diaries) and the
Practical Guide for Pilgrims.  I can get you authors and formal titles if
you want to order any of these books.

Based on your timings and conditioning, you should have no problems
finishing the Camino in that amount of time you have allotted, and still
have plenty of time to explore along the way. We felt our 2000 route was a
much more enjoyable experience with the slower pace, with much time each day
for sightseeing as well as laundry, bike maintenance, and normal travel
support activities.

Let us know if you want copies of the diaries or any other details about
cycling the Camino.

Regards,
Marty & John Volz
Santa Rosa, CA