preparation

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Mon Jul 2 22:31:39 PDT 2001

As one who is well practiced in not preparing, let me share my experiences.

1982: absolutely no preparation, not even walking around the block or trying
on the loaded backpack, but I was only 35 and full of youthful ignorance. We
walked from St. Jean--didn't make it far the first day, got lost, etc. Quite
an adventure. Gradually got used to walking with a much-too-heavy pack. It
was tough, the first few weeks.

1997: very little preparation, 15 years older, no wiser, maybe a bit more fit
because I'd been trying to walk a few miles a day on a treadmill. Started at
the top of the pass leading down to Roncesvalles. Again, the first week or
more was pretty tough. The worst part was the heat, actually.

2000: no preparation, I'd been sick much of the spring. Three years older,
maybe a little wiser. Walked the last 100 miles--first day, the climb up to O
Cebreiro--with a group and a support van, so all I had to carry was me and a
fairly impressive fanny pack. It took me a long time to get up the hills, but
I did it and kept on going! Much easier without the pack.

2001: planning to walk in September with my son. This time, I'm preparing
ahead of time at a gym, getting stronger, building some endurance ahead of
time. It should make the journey a little more pleasant--there's enough
exertion even if you're fit!

Met pilgrims on the Camino who SWORE they had not prepared at all, and that
the only real preparation was to walk the Camino. Don't think I agree with
that--at least break your boots in!

Buen Camino,
Elyn