preparation

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Tue Jul 3 06:30:52 PDT 2001

Hi Heather.  I just returned from the Camino a few days ago and would love to
share my experience with you!  In terms of training, I did NOTHING!  And I
will tell you this, I do not recommend it!!!!  That first week was a killer
for me.  I began in St. Jean and that walk to Roncesvalles was very sobering
indeed.  A few teas fell that day.

I will say that I had at least broken in my boots, but I was a little
overweight, hadn't done any real strenuous physical activity in quite some
time and I paid dearly for it.  Now I lost 30 lbs. while onthe Camino and
really toned up, but that isn't the point.

However, there were certain times when my perception changed and I simply
walked through whatever was killing me at the time.  That amazed me!  I also
remember waking up in Roncesvalles thinking there was no way I could walk
that day.  But three angelic Swiss got me up and moving.  Your muscles go
through stages however.  After the initial morning's pain and stiffness, I
soon loosend up and was able to keep a nice steady pace.  After four hours
though I felt like I was dying all over again.  We had stopped at a cafe for
a cafe and tostada and I wanted to cry all over again.  I remember people
passing me and their expressions were definitely saying "she is never going
to make it!"  But there came a point when I had to admit that things either
had to change or I may as well end it there.  I straightened my back and
shoulders, took nice, long strides and it wasn't fifteen minutes later and
the pain was gone and I felt energized.  That lastest the rest of the way to
Zubiri.

Therefore, my advice would be, please do some training with the pack, your
boots, hills, if they're available and just basic endurance type work-outs.
Also, while you're walking, stay relaxed with an easy gait, and with your
back and head held high.  While I was walking I tried to remember my ballet
days and kept a very long and tall line.  Do make sure your pack fits well
and is correct for this type of trip.  I saw many people who carried these
humongous packs with very little inside, and they were having some back
problems.

My other piece of advice, go to your doctor before you leave and have him or
her look over your feet and knees.  My one and only major problem was that I
have planters fasheitis (sp?).  I could have had orthotics made and eased
much of the pain in my left heel.

When all is said and done, it is true that after a week your muscles, lungs,
and heart will have gotten used to the dailey rituals and you will have
forgotten most of the pain your experienced in the first days.

And if I can say one last thing, I met several people who were doing very
long days (42 -48 kms).  My question tothat was "why."  They missed many side
excursions as well as a few refugios.  Keep a pace that's good for you and
enjoy your time there and everything you and everyone you meet.  It goes much
too quickly and before you know it, you're back at home longing for the
Camino.  Relish every moment.

Best of luck and Buen camino!
Gabrielle