preparation

Edie Bennett pacificonaEARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jul 2 18:33:45 PDT 2001

Heather,

I recently returned from walking St. Jean to Santiago, and talked with lots of pilgrims on the way about their personal training before starting.  Most of them did the following:  walk lots around home (anywhere from 1-5 miles per day average) and on hilly terrain if possible, with backpack and hiking shoes.  Breaking in the shoes is the most important thing, in my opinion.

Some of those who did extraordinary training; i.e., swimming, running, biking, weight-training, fared no better (and sometimes worse) than those of us who just practiced common sense.  Take your time, take care of your feet, don't carry more than 15 lbs., and expect that the first week will get you in shape for the remainder of the Camino.

By the way, like myself, about half of those I encountered were in the 50+ age group and fared quite well!!

Buen Camino,

Edie from California

---- Original Message -----
  From: Heather Lemley
  To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
  Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 1:10 PM
  Subject: preparation

  I noticed that most guides recommend that you should start to practice
  walking months ahead of time.  However I know of some people who hardly
  practiced walking at all.  To those of you who have made the trip:  Do you
  think it is absolutely necessary to start months ahead of time.  What were
  your experiences?  I'm about to leave and I probably haven't done as much
  walking as I should have although I am young and in good physical condition.

  Thanks,

  Heather