phone calls

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Sun Jul 1 23:39:39 PDT 2001

Make sure that when you buy a card that it is good for the U.S. Canfranc
Estacion was the first town that I came to in Spain. I asked about
telephone cards at the tourist office and was directed to a tabac shop.
There I found that they had cards for Spain only, cards for all of
Europe (or at least the E.U.), and even cards for IberoAmerica (a much
more sensible term than Latin-America), but nothing for the U.S. and
Canada. Later, in Jaca, I was able to get a more general card at the
Correos. Note: Sometimes it is difficult to find a telephone that
accepts cards.

I, too, found the cards to be quite reasonable. My impression is that
this is the cheapest way to call. I didn't like the cards in France,
because a voice over the line tells how much is left on the card, and I
couldn't understand it most of the time. In Spain (and Portugal as
well), the little LCD screen shows how much is left on the card.