The List Serve

Preston Pittman preston_pittmanaHOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 19 12:19:03 PST 2001

At the risk of being guilty of what I am about to comment on - I, like
Kathryn, have experienced frustration for a very long time at the list serve
being used for numerous messages consisting of only "I agree with that" or
"thank you" that I think would be better sent to the individual to whom they
are addressed off the list serve.  I've actually started blocking those
people after I've seen 5 or 6 postings of that nature.  It has made a
dramatic difference in cutting out "clutter" in my inbox which caused major
problems a couple of times, but I now may miss something interesting they
might have to say.

I think its good to remember that the list serve has a purpose to promote
exchange of ideas and experiences of the Camino.  Historical, practical,
theoretical.  But everyone is not interested in *everything* having to do
with the Camino.  I would request that people put the "subject" of their
posting in the "subject" line so if others are not interested in that
particular topic (like the one millionth posting on the millions who walked
the Camino in the middle ages) one doesn't have to read it.

It's been suggested by others that we be "civil" to one another.  I totally
agree.  Being civil to one another also includes being considerate of one
another's time constraints and space limitations in our email carriers.

The list serve is also not a chat room.  However, it would seem that
individuals who want to "chat" with one another on things that have nothing
to do with the Camino should feel free to do so personally - one on one
without involving everyone else.

I'm not saying "bah, humbug!" and I hope no one takes my message that way.
It's just that now that the subject has been raised, I felt a need to
respond with what has been on my mind for a long time.  That said,

a sincere Merry Christmas to all.