Re: help on any historical data re: Nájera

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Tue Dec 11 17:18:34 PST 2001

Don't know if this helps, but Gitlitz/Davidson's book on Santiago describes
caves in relationship to the founding of Monasterio de Santa Maria la
Real--I'll paraphrase and quote (forgive me, Linda and David!): in 1044
Navarran king Garcia III was hutning and his falcom followed a dove into one
of the caves in the mountainside. "When the King followed, he saw a strange
light emanating from the deep receses of the cave. Explorin, he found nestled
against the cliffs an ancient wood sculpture of the the Virgin" with a bell
and vase of fresh lilies. Garcia orderd a chapel to be built, then a church
and monastery, consecrated in 1052. Etc. Inside the church are 3 areas worth
visiting: "the cave and pantheon, the main altar, and the high choir." The
cave: "Go past the tombs all teh way into the cave and admire its red
conglomerate rock shot through with veins of white quartz. At its deepest
point you will see a vase of lilies and a copy of the statue of the Virgen de
la Rosa. This is where King Garcia III found the original vase and statue.
Elyn