PRACTICAL MATTERS

Norman Bone bone1966aYAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 4 09:06:48 PST 2001

--- Anthony Dyson <anthony.dysonaWANEWS.COM.AU> wrote:
> I'm refining my plans to walk the Camino in 2003.
> Could those who have actual recent experience of the walk comment on
> the
> following please?
> 1. Money, money, money. Given the rise in the number of people
> seeking
> to use refugios,  what would be a reasonable daily budget (including
> food/drink) if I was able to split about half and half between
> staying
> in refuges and staying in low-cost hostals etc? About $US25 perhaps?
> appreciate that costs may well rise when Spain goes over to the Euro
> on
> January 1.
> 2. Tent. Does the rise in numbers mean that camping might well be a
> practical alternative in some places? I have a very lightweight
> shelter
> and am happy to carry it. Or is the small number of sites mean this
> is
> just not practical?

Hello-
1. You didn't say whether you were doing the traditional start from Le
Puy, France or just starting in St Jean. Generally, costs for me this
past summer were higher for the French half than the Spanish half. $25
US a day should be more than enough, especially if you hook up with
someone occasionally to split costs. In Spain you can probably get away
with $10-15. I think my cheapest day was $5 and the most expensive $20
(food included).
2. In France, in summer, you would be smart to call ahead and reserve
your Gite a few days ahead of time. A tent seems like it would not be
worth the weight to carry for the few times you might need it. If the
gite d'etape was full I always managed to find a place anyway. In
Spain, especially closer to Santiago, you'll be better off in the
hostals than trying to get in with the multitudes of teenagers in the
refugios. Once again, a tent just doesn't seem worth the weight to me.

Norman Bone
Portland, OR