St. Francis

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue Dec 4 08:58:06 PST 2001

Dear Maryjane,
I cannot thank you enough for the information and the insight  provided in
your two messages. I have printed them and will add them to the invaluable
data found from time to time on this list.
At Assisi, a town much beloved by me, there are many references and relics
related to St. Francis' pilgrimage to Santiago, including mentions of
Finisterra.  The Franciscan scholars right here in New York City, attached to
the popular Church of St. Francis on 32nd. street,  between Sixth and Seventh
avenues, often refer to St. Francis' pilgrimage during retreats and homilies.
As an attorney, I would say that the preponderance of the evidence supports
the fact of the pilgrimage.
In the modern art section of the museum attached to the Leon Cathedral there
is a haunting and breath-taking painting of St. Francis descending the
Cebreiro mountains.  Although photographs are not permitted to be taken
there, my fascination with the painting was so intense that I was allowed to
take a photo of it. Alas! I only had one of those toy-like little cameras and
the picture is not very good.  Nevertheless, when I show Camino pictures to
friends, they linger over that particular picture and have even asked me to
make copies for them.
Someone gave me a scanner (still in the box), if and when I ever use it I
will post that picture.  If  learning to use it takes more time and effort
that I am willing to spend, I will send the picture to Pieter and he will
probably post it.
Again, Maryjane, thanks for the meaningful information.  Oftentimes it
becomes tiresome, for me, to wade through those  contentious and
uninteresting  messages on this list, but your Camino scholarship (and
invaluable literary citations), as well as that of Linda, Robert, Elyn and
occasional others, make the wading  worthwhile.
    Tell me,  are you and Linda planning to write another pilgrimage book
sometime soon? I'd love to hear that you are.
    -Do you know about the mammoth bibliography on the Camino recently
published by the Ministerio de Cultura in Spain?-
Warm regards,
Rosina