Pilgrim numbers (was: Michener)

Joe & MJ mjdunnaTXUCOM.NET
Mon Dec 3 10:04:52 PST 2001

Okay, I don't have an exact figure, but it seems time to weigh in with some
"real" numbers (I love Michener, but wouldn't consider him an expert on
pilgrimage). Here's the problem: When we talk about "medieval" pilgrims we
are talking about a span of approximately 500 years (900 to 1400). When we
talk about medieval "pilgrims" we're talking about persons from all social
strata (royalty to lowlifes on judicial pilgrimage sentences), and persons
from all over Europe. Some left records when they left their hometowns;
others did not. Some said they were going to leave but did not. Others just
left. Some arrived in Compostela; many did not. Some arrived in royal
retinues but did not count as "pilgrims".

In general here are some guidelines (from Antonio Vin~ayo Gonza'lez,
_Caminos y peregrinos: Huellas de la peregrinacion jacobea_ Coleccion
Isidoriana Popular, Leon, 1991, pp. 108-110)
*The 12th century is considered by all to be the "siglo de oro" (golden
century) of pilgrimage, not necessarily for the multitude of pilgrims but
for the faith and reasons for their travel. The Codex Calixtinus gives us
descriptions of the early 12th century and its route (in the Liber Sancti
Jacobi) is the most widely recognized as "the" pilgrimage route.
*The 13th & 14th centuries saw some decline, if not in numbers of pilgrims,
at least in their motivation and fervor.
*In 1496 (a Holy Year) in one day 84 boats were moored in Coruna, 32 of
which were English (presumed pilgrims)
*The 16th century saw an accelerated decline in pilgrimage in general
because of Protestantism, Erasmism, and humanism. Abuses by pilgrims of
their status was more common. The Inquisition was suspicious of pilgrims
from protestant countries, although large numbers continued to come.
*In 1569 there were enough fake pilgrims (bums, vagabonds, ruffians, etc.)
that Compostela had to pass an ordinance to rid them from the city. And in
1590 Felipe II outlawed the "pilgrim costume" because it was being used so
frequently to cheat people.
*The 17th century saw an effort in Spain to lessen Santiago's prestige in
favor of Saint Teresa or San Miguel
*Writers still wrote about numerous (decadent) pilgrims in the 18th century.
* By 1867 there were only 30-40 pilgrims to Compostela, the majority of them
Portuguese.

I know this doesn't satisfy the burning question of 1 million or 1/2
million, but it should show the magnitude of the problem in determining
numbers based on *real, *factual, *physical evidence which would have to be
found in documents in thousands of churches, monasteries, convents, etc. in
dozens of countries, over hundreds of years and all cross checked and
correlated before we had any hard numbers.

Maryjane

p.s--in regards to the self-sufficiency of pilgrims--the majority of towns
along the pilgrimage route were founded precisely because of the pilgrims
and their needs. Food, shelter, clothing and medical needs were no less in
the middle ages than they are today, even if most people then did know how
to kill and skin a rabbit.