Michener

Mac Quart macsquartaYAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 3 07:58:59 PST 2001

I am not trying to say that we shouldn't keep looking for the facts.  What I am
trying to say is that those people on the list who are ignorantly saying that
the information is wrong with no actual proof and with wrong comparison are
just trying to bash someone's belief.  You seem to criticize those who believe
in the large number but you have no actual proof.  Why say that the 500,000
number is wrong just because you think it is?  I personally don't care one way
or another how many people have walked it.  I care more about WHO has walked it
and the fact that I have.  What I want you to understand is that some people
have found a reference saying a very large number and they take pride in this.
I am making a point that those who are hesitant to ignore this number give
pride in it and it is stupid to say that it is impossible for that many people
to walk the Camino in one year.  My point is that it is possible.  From a
standpoint of food and water and the fact that people then were used to making
all trips with no reliance on locals for food and shelter this is possible.
There would be no need for towns to support pilgrims because a pilgrim then
would have needed less food than people now, no need for shelter because he
would have been used to sleeping in tents or other lean-to, and could walk a
whole lot faster than your average pilgrim today.  Think about these things and
then think about what you are comparing that number to today.  Go back to your
statistics you are quoting and think about what you are using as a comparison.

Now I don't know what the true answer is here.  I am very curious.  But until
someone PROOVES otherwise, I tend to feel that the large number is possible but
I am reserving my final decision until this pans out.  I am trying to be
devil's advocate here and show that these numbers that people keep bringing up
are not necessarily pertainant.
Mac

=====
"Brilliance is like four-wheel drive:  it enables a person to get stuck in even more remote places."
-Garrison Keillor on "A Prairie Home Companion"