Pamplona to St. Jean

Steve Bean ultrrnnraCTS.COM
Tue Aug 28 17:26:45 PDT 2001

Bill - I find the best way to go is thru Paris, if you're starting in St
Jean  - The TGV is easy to Bayonne and the 'local' works really well -
We did that this year -Left Paris around 10AM and arrived in St Jean
about 4 - Go directly to the Amies de St Jaques office - They will stamp
your passport, etc., plus direct you to the refugio/housing - Plus, they
like to talk and that will set the tone for the remainder of your time!
Otherwise, start in Roncesvalles, as most others do, flying in to
Madrid, train to Pamplona, bus to Roncesvalles - If you already have
your ticket, you might check the difference in cost between changing the
ticket and the train/bus/taxi cost to St Jean - It might work out
cheaper thru Paris -

Leave St Jean early, as it can be a LONG trip up and over, depending on
your condition - I don't know how busy the Camino will be at that time
of year, but when we arrived at Roncesvalles (mid May) the refugio was
getting pretty full at around 5:00 PM - I know there is probably
overflow, but you want to be comfortable, at least on your first nite!

As others have said, buy your supplies the nite before - there's not too
much along the way - Arriving on Saturday or Sunday will be fine, as far
as shops are concerned -

Once you arrive at Santiago, there are good train connections back to
everywhere - We flew into Paris, TGV to St Jean, and then, at the end,
the train  back to Paris - It's a 24 hour trip (The train reverses parts
of the Camino - You can see prilgrims walking, a bonus) and costs about
$85.00 for the whole trip - Leaves Santiago at 9:00 AM and arrives at
Montparnasse at 7:00AM - Change trains at Irun/Hendaye - I have heard
about 'Pilgrim' fares on busses or planes, but wasn't able to go further
- The train worked for us -

Enjoy your time on the Camino - It is an AWESOME experience, as are your
fellow Pilgrims! - Take a rest day or two when you start to feel cranky
or pushed - Experience it all - There's nothing like the first time!

Buen Camino

Steve Bean