Water and hotels

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Sat Aug 4 04:57:18 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/3/2001 8:13:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
eldorpaHOTMAIL.COM writes:

> "my wife, a MD with a Masters Degree in Public Health and a pediatric public
> health practice is horrified at the prospect of drinking untreated water
> from fuente
I haven't heard of one instance where this has been a problem, but I see
people every day in NYC drinking bottled water since it is so fashionable to
do so despite the fact that repeated testing has shown that the NYC water
supply is healthier and better. Why pay money for water that has been sitting
around breeding bacteria in plastic test tubes called water "bottles"?  I am
in touch with numerous pilgrims and not one has complained about any of the
numerous plagues and scourges that you described.  I really wish people like
you would stop alarming potential pilgrims about the safety of the water
supply from POTABLE fuentes that have been used by countless pilgrims.  Those
that may be unsafe are clearly marked NON POTABLE.

"It isn't usually necessary (though I was forced into a hotel once because of
a full refugio), but comfort and privacy may dictate a few hotel nights even
for the most penurious pilgrims"

Maybe I'm nuts, but people who need comfort and privacy should stay home.  To
me the energy and experience of the Camino is enhanced by the sacrifice of
comfort and privacy.  You seem to have an elitist and cavalier attitude
toward pilgrims with tight budgets or perhaps those who come from countries
where the exchange rate is not as good as the dollar and can only afford to
stay at refugios.

Howard