Santiago and Jerusalem

Maryjane Dunn mjdunnaTXUCOM.NET
Wed Apr 25 07:25:19 PDT 2001

Rosina--
I believe Pieter already sent a web address with some information. Here's an
article that Linda and I thought was excellent regarding Santiago's
beheading, etc.

Juhasz, Vicente. "La Basilica de la Decapitacion de Santiago." _Compostela_
26 (July 1953): 5-8. Also published in _Tierra Santa_ 28 (1953): 291-4
"Very interesting article about the place of St. James' martyrdom, its
development as a holy shrine, and its history under a variety of rulers.
Very short description of the chapel as it exists today, and how other
visitors depicted it in the centuries during and after the Crusades."

Another interesting piece (although next to impossible to find, as it was
printed in 1610) is a history of St. James by Mauro Castella Ferrer. I point
out a couple of salient points from our synopsis of the book: He writes of
Bethsayda, Jerusalem and Jaffa as the 3 Holy Land places of most importance
to Stgo (as his birthplace, place of his beheading, and the departure point
for the translation of his body.)
I don't know of any other physical reminder specifically of Stgo. in the
Holy Land, other than his basilica in Jerusalem, but his life did have other
important sites that few of us are aware of.

Maryjane