hostals

Ana Young ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM
Sun Apr 22 04:43:48 PDT 2001

--- Delphia Dirks <delphiadaEARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
> Does this mean that there is a possibility that one
> could be lodged in a
> "private home" if there is no room in the refugios?
>   Has anyone had this
> experience

Hi Delphia,

I did, in Sarria when I arrived there in early August,
sick from flu. I couldn't stay in the refugio anyway
because, one, it was full and two, I had taken the bus
from Astorga (I got sick three times on my first
Camino).

The kind hospitalera there found a room for me in a
private house right across the street from the
albergue, and she let me wash my clothes in the
albergue as I usually did when I stayed there.

\the lady who owned the house was lovely. She had
decided a couple of years ago when her daughter got
married to rent out the room to pilgrims during the
heavy season. I slept in a lovely room with lace
curtains, a super-comfortable bed ... and a great view
of a typical hilly street in a medium-sized Galician
town. We chatted for a while, I ate some fruit I had
bought, we watched the news on TV, then I went to bed
early because I was determined to resume walking the
next morning, which I did. She charged me 1,500
pesetas for the night.

If the refugio is full, ask the hospitalero or someone
at the bars, or sometimes the refugio itself will have
ads tacked up on the wall of nearby places.

Besos,
Ana