Canfranc/Somport

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Fri Apr 6 18:45:51 PDT 2001

It was my impression that the train seervice from France to Canfranc Est. was
discontinued many years and that the tracks and tunnel were no longer
functional. There is a lot of work going on for a new tunnel, but my impression
was that it was strictly for moto vehicles, not trains. There is very likely a
train that runs to Oloron. From there to Canfranc Est. it is two very tough
days of walking (about 30 km per day) or three moderate days (20 km per day). I
took the easier choice, three days, and it was an enjoyable walk.

regards,

Robert