Sudarium

Dorothy Imundi Ddirenzo2000aAOL.COM
Wed Nov 29 22:23:57 PST 2000

Dear Judy,
I went to Oviedo this Sept  14 to see the Holy Sudarium.  I was very happy to
hear about it about 2 weeks before leaving for the Camino.  I took a bus from
Leon to Oviedo.  The Sudarium is kept in the Cathedral of San Salvador in a
room filled with relics.  The room is called the Camara Sancta.  However, it
is not on view there.  It is not shown except for Good Friday, Sept 14 which
is the Feast of the Exhaltation of the Holy Cross, and on Sept 21.  I really
don't think it is shown during the entire week.
    My experience was this:  There is a Mass at 7:30PM and at the conclusion
of the Mass a priest processes in with the Sudarium, which is in a frame and
covered by a cloth.  At the altar it is unveiled and the entire congregation
is blessed with it as the priest makes the sign of the cross with it.  It is
then quickly recovered and processed out and brought back to the Camara
Sancta.  You do not need a ticket to get in.  It is open to all.  Just get
there early so you can get a front row seat because even from there it is
difficult to see well all the way to the altar.
    I was very happy and blessed to be there even though it was very quick
and you couldn't get near it.
    In the Cathedral, at that time at least, there is a display all about the
Sudarium and studies made on it.  I would recommend this side trip to anyone
on the Camino.  For centuries pilgrims on the French route have done just
that, going over to the Northern route to venerate the famous relic.  Also,
as someone already mentioned, there is a sign on the wall in the Cathedral
next to the statue of San Salvador, which says,"He who goes to Santiago
without first visiting San Salvador, worships the creature instead of the
Creator."  That says it all.  So try to go the next time you are on the
Camino.  I took a bus to Ponferrada from there and continued on the French
route.
I hope this answers your questions.
Dorothy