routes

linda davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Thu Dec 14 08:51:51 PST 2000

I want to add to R. Spenge's information about Somport. Santa Cristina de
Somport was one of the 3 most touted 'hospitals' for pilgrims in the middle
ages. the writer of the 12th century guide in the _Liber Sancti Jacobi_
says only good things about it.
Of course, it doesn't exist now, but one can make a detour and see the
archaeological investigations' results of the outline of the building(s).
There are also impressive civil war bunkers along the road as you hike
down. We've done that route a couple of times and indeed it is gorgeous.
To start, you could spend a day or to in Urdos, France -- a small village
but there is a hostal or two open all year. I agree with Robert that it is
a gorgeous hike.
The route from Gabas through the Pyrenees does not have any markings and
you have to cross a couple of swift running streams/small rivers, but then
you get into the mozarabic churches of the northern valleys of Spain.

Linda Davidson