routes

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Wed Dec 13 22:27:18 PST 2000

I crossed at Somport in mid May this year and it was beautiful. It might
have been even better if I had braved the dirt track, but I stayed on
the pavement. The guidebook warned that the other route was not too well
marked and might have some difficult stream crossings. There was plenty
of snow on the peaks around me, but only at higher elevations. It was a
bright sunny day, but I started early in the day and was in the shade
until just the last few hundred meters, where the landscape was more
open. The descent, on the Spanish side, was in striking contrast to the
heavily wooded northern slope. There were almost no trees on the south
slopes. As a result, there is a large ski resort a little way off to the
west of the main road. The first town that I came to was Canfranc
Estacion, about 5 km south of the border station at Somport. It is only
a small town, but does a brisk business with skiers in the winter and
hikers in the summer. It also has a huge historic railroad station with
two large rooms that used to be the custom inspection areas, one for the
northbound passengers and one for those going south. I got the
impression that many Spanish pilgrims start their pilgrimage from there.
There is still train service once a day from Jaca to Canfranc Estacion.

regards,

Bob Spenger