[Cfp-interest 2958] footnote to clarify WANT macro requirement for decimal types

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 09:16:34 PST 2023

Regarding action item

>     Jim: Add a footnote to Part 4, Clause 6 when it describes dN for N != 32, 64, 128 to say N = 32, 64, 128 are covered due to them being 60559 types and covered in Annex F.

I suggest adding a footnote in Clause 6 to the sentence:

An implementation shall declare the functions suffixed with dN for N ≠ 32, 64 or 128 or with dNx only if it supports the corresponding decimal floating type and the macro __STDC_WANT_IEC_60559_TYPES_EXT__ is defined at the point in the code where <reduc.h> is first included.

where the footnote is:

For N = 32, 64 and 128, the functions suffixed with dN shall be declared if the implementation supports decimal floating types (i.e. defines __STDC_IEC_60559_DFP__), without the requirement that the macro __STDC_WANT_IEC_60559_TYPES_EXT__ be defined.

Please send any comments to CFP ASAP.