[Cfp-interest 2957] footnote about emulation of augmented arithmetic functions

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 09:07:02 PST 2023

Regarding action item

>    Jim: Part 4: Add a footnote anchored on something that says "For an example of emulating augmented arithmetic, see <paper on augmented arithmetic emulation from CFP2949>" and add it to the bibliography in part 4.

I suggest adding a footnote in Clause 7 to the sentence:

The functions in this clause round to nearest with ties toward zero, a rounding direction specified by IEC 60559 for use by augmented arithmetic operations.

where the footnote is:

[16] shows how to use currently available IEC 60559 operations and to-nearest, ties-to-even rounding to implement the IEC 60559 augmented arithmetic operations with their special to-nearest, ties-toward-zero rounding.

and adding the Bibliography entry:

[16]	Boldo, S., Lauter, C., Muller, J.-M., Emulating round-to-nearest-ties-to-zero “augmented” floating-point operations using round-to-nearest-ties-to-even arithmetic. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 2021, 70 (7), pp.1046 - 1058. Available at: https://hal.science/hal-02137968v4.

Please send any comments to CFP ASAP.