[Cfp-interest 1620] Re: TS3 annex review

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Thu Jun 4 16:41:42 PDT 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020, Jim Thomas wrote:

> A is a subset of B iff every element of A is an element of B. The C
> standard has several instances of ?subset? with this meaning.
>
> A is a strict subset of B iff A is a subset of B and A is not equivalent
> to B.
>
> ?Strict subset? and ?proper subset? mean the same thing. The C standard
> uses ?strict subset?. 754 used ?proper subset? (one time). An internet
> search indicates that both terms are widely used and mean the same
> thing.
>
> In the TS3 there are instances of ?is a subset of (or equivalent to)?.
> The parenthetical part isn?t really needed (which is why it?s in
> parentheses). We?re trying to be extra clear that we don?t mean just
> strict subset.

I was going to write a similar email but I could not get something as
succinct as your words.

By the time I had reread my own words a few times, I was confused anyway.
If I read and reread yours, it still makes as much sense as the first time
I read it.

I think your words nail it - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer