[Cfp-interest 1622] Re: TS3 annex review

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Thu Jun 4 21:32:44 PDT 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 16:31:26 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:

>My understanding
>
>A is a subset of B iff every element of A is an element of B. The C standard has several instances of "subset" with this meaning.
>
>A is a strict subset of B iff A is a subset of B and A is not equivalent to B.
>
>"Strict subset" and "proper subset" mean the same thing.  An internet search indicates that both terms are widely used and mean the same thing.

Agree with all of above.

>In the TS3 there are instances of "is a subset of (or equivalent to)". The parenthetical part isn't really needed (which is why it's in parentheses). We're trying to be extra clear that we don't mean just strict subset.

Annex X has for FLT_EVAL_METHOD:

"0 evaluate all operations and constants, whose semantic type comprises a set of values
    that is a strict subset of the values of float, to the range and precision of float;"

So, "float op float" is not evaluated to "float" as per that (which struck me as strange).

However, it is evaluated to "float" by the second clause:

"evaluate all other operations and constants to the range and precision of the semantic
type;"

So, perhaps removing "strict" would improve things.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.