[Cfp-interest 1619] Re: TS3 annex review

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 4 16:31:26 PDT 2020

My understanding …

A is a subset of B iff every element of A is an element of B. The C standard has several instances of “subset” with this meaning.

A is a strict subset of B iff A is a subset of B and A is not equivalent to B.

“Strict subset” and “proper subset” mean the same thing. The C standard uses “strict subset”. 754 used “proper subset” (one time). An internet search indicates that both terms are widely used and mean the same thing.

In the TS3 there are instances of “is a subset of (or equivalent to)”. The parenthetical part isn’t really needed (which is why it’s in parentheses). We’re trying to be extra clear that we don’t mean just strict subset.

- Jim Thomas