[Cfp-interest] Introductions

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 22 15:11:50 PST 2013

Recently Mike pointed out some inconsistencies and other problems in the Introductions to Parts 1-3. Timely, because it appears we're near to becoming an official ISO Work Item and will have a window to organize a focused review of Part 1 (with reviewers from WG 14) before the WG 14 meeting in late April. If the review is successful, the document could be ready for first ballot after the WG 14 meeting. So it's time to get the Part 1 Introduction is shape, and if the Part 1 Introduction will be shared by the remaining Parts we need a scheme for how to do that (without needing to go back and change Part 1). I've been working on an approach where the Introduction to each Part begins with a common introduction for the TS as a whole:

	Background
		IEC 60559 floating-point standard
		C support for IEC 60559
	Purpose

which is followed by a Part-specific sub clause:

	More about (decimal floating-point arithmetic / formats / …)

(Part 1 didn't seem to need a Part-specific clause.)

Drafts for Parts 1-3 Introductions, updated and following this scheme, are at:

http://wiki.edg.com/twiki/pub/CFP/WebHome/cfp1-introduction.pdf
http://wiki.edg.com/twiki/pub/CFP/WebHome/cfp2-introduction.pdf
http://wiki.edg.com/twiki/pub/CFP/WebHome/cfp3-introduction.pdf

Please let me know what you think (at least about the Part 1 introduction and the general approach) ASAP so we can have Part 1 ready for an organized review.

-Jim