[Cfp-interest] CFP Study Group Teleconference - Thursday, February 14

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 12 13:42:30 PST 2013

On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:42 AM, "Fred J. Tydeman" <tydeman at tybor.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:42:41 -0800 Jim Thomas wrote:
>>
>> interchange types (which include interchange floating types)
>>
>> Part 3 adds: interchange types, interchange floating types,
>> and extended floating types. I'm trying to use these
>> designations consistently in the draft, and believe the
>> wording about _Float16 is consistent.
>
> I am confused about interchange types.
> I thought there was just:
>  interchange floating types,
>  extended floating types

In IEC 60559 terminology, there are interchange formats, which may or may not be arithmetic, and extended formats, which are arithmetic. The corresponding C types are , per the current Part 3 draft:

IEC 60559 format			C type
interchange				interchange
arithmetic interchange			interchange floating
extended				extended floating

The interchange floating and extended floating types are included in the real floating types which makes them arithmetic types.

Is this answering your question?

-Jim