[Cfp-interest] CFP Study Group Teleconference - Thursday, February 14

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Tue Feb 12 14:21:37 PST 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:42:30 -0800 Jim Thomas wrote:

>In IEC 60559 terminology, there are interchange formats, which may
>or may not be arithmetic, and extended formats, which are arithmetic.
>The corresponding C types are , per the current Part 3 draft:
>
>IEC 60559 format                       C type
>-----------------------                        --------------------------
>interchange                            interchange
>arithmetic interchange                 interchange floating
>extended                               extended floating
>
>The interchange floating and extended floating types are included in the
>real floating types which makes them arithmetic types.
>
>Is this answering your question?

I think so.

Interchange is just the data (such as 16-bit formats)
Interchange floating is data + operations (such as 64-bit formats).

Since the terms are very similar, I did not notice the distinction
when I was reading the document.  Perhaps, 'interchange' should be
replaced with 'data-interchange'.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (775) 287-5904      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.