[Cfp-interest] Meeting minutes for 2013/04/11 C FP Study Group

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at ca.ibm.com
Fri Apr 12 08:21:56 PDT 2013

I left in a private note (the *'d part) in the notes I sent out yesterday.
Please ignore that line since I'll elaborate here:

I have four alternatives I'd like to propose in order of preference for
the quantexpdN and quantexpdNx functions:

1) For the common (and likely only) cases where int is large enough, leave
it as is. i.e. We explicitly list the "too large for int" case as
unspecified what the implementation does.

2) Use a _DecimalN return type.
int quantexpdN(_DecimalN x); -> _DecimalN quantexpdN (_DecimalN x);
The _DecimalN return value would be a canonical value. The hope is that
larger N values will give larger ranges in the return value automatically
and there is no need to introduce new types.

3) Have the implementation define a macro for extended types if the
exponent is out of range of an int with the value of a function name that
can handle the larger types (and no macro defined for ones that fit in
int):
Ex. __DECIMAL1024_HAS_LARGE_QUANTUM_EXPONENT quantexpd1024_returns_long

4) Use int_leastN_t types where the implementation has to define new
int_leastN_t types.
This has the drawback of having to potentially introduce new int types (ex
For _Decimal128 since not all implementations have 128 bit integer types).

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative for Canada
C Compiler Development
Contact: rbhakta at ca.ibm.com, Rajan Bhakta/Toronto/IBM
Telephone: (905) 413-3995