[Cfp-interest] Meeting minutes for 2013/04/11 C FP Study Group

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at ca.ibm.com
Thu Apr 11 12:06:21 PDT 2013

Attendees: Fred, Jim, Marius, Ian, David

Old action items:
  Jim to post spreadsheet: Done
  Jim to check if a new WG14 document number is needed: Yes. Done
  Ian and Rajan to review intro: Good as it is. Done
  Jim to describe more changes: Done

Next meeting: May 16th, 2013

New action items:
  AI: Jim to check with David to go back to old conference number
  AI: Jim to send out an email to see if 12:30-2:30 pm EST (30 minutes
earlier than the original time) is OK for time - Consensus to do this on
the call so no email needed.
  AI: Jim to send new words for Part 1 comment 17.
  AI: Jim to send new words for Part 1 comment 25.
  AI: Everyone to review Part 2 to make sure it is ready for full official
WG14 review

  Fred: Have we resolved how we are working as a subgroup of WG14? Two
wikis for example.
  Jim: Not going very well since he is still doing double posting. Awkward
situation.
  Rajan: Is Secure C doing this? They seem to be doing their own on the
side without too much WG14 impact.
  Fred: Prefer keeping this separate

Part 1 comments:
  Jim: Proposed new text is what the comment submitter posted. John Benito
suggested we add a column for our response.
  Comment from Willem Walker: Change all "Suggested changes to C11" to
"Changes to C11" in our document. Consensus is to make the change.
  Comment from Joeseph Myers regarding Table 2 and wchar functions and
atof. Consensus is to make the change.
  Spreadsheet comments and consensus:
    1-2: Make the changes
    3: Remove first line only
    4: No main doc changes
    5: Remove the second instance.
    6: Fred: Reorder the 5 section for all 3 documents.
      Accept changes.
    7: Accept changes.
    8 (wprintf, wscanf): Accept changes.
    9: Discussion about how to format. Decided on round dark bullets and
no punctuation.
    10: Accept changes. Change line number to 24 in the comment.
    11 (log function typeface): Accept changes.
    12: Accept changes.
    13: Accept changes.
    14: Accept changes.
    15: Accept changes.
    16: Accept changes.
    17 (llogb): Need to reword this. AI for Jim to do.
    18: Accept changes.
    19: Accept changes.
    20: Accept changes.
    21: Accept changes.
    22 (real floating): Rajan: math.h so shouldn't have complex. Jim:
Consistent with others if we do not accept complex. Accept changes.
    23: Accept changes.
    24 (four macros vs three): Accept changes.
    25: David: Need a way to find out if it is signalling without
signalling.
      Jim: Wide evaluation is the issue.
      David: Should only apply to variables, not expressions.
      Jim: Works for variables and expressions generally.
      David: Add a reference to F.3.
      Fred: How about F.3#5?
      Jim: The standard never references paragraph numbers.
      AI: Jim to show the words of the F.3 reference being a footnote.
    26: Accept changes.
    27 (imput): Accept changes.
    28: Accept changes. Add parenthesis for clarity as well.
    29: Accept changes.
    30: Accept changes.
    31 (old): Accept changes.
    32: Accept changes.
    33: Accept changes except the line 25 change. Also remove the bold and
typeface of "and" on line 11.

Part 2 review:
  Jim: I want to make this follow Part 1 by one WG14 meeting. This means
we can have a WG14 review in May or June for this.
  Example 3 on page 29: Output is in "e" format now.
  Jim: A number of other editorial changes made.

Part 3:
  This Spring 2013 meeting will be the first time the full WG14 will see
Part 3.
  This means we need Part 4 draft for early September to get into the
October mailing.
  The changes to the type system is risky so needs to be looked at
closely.
  Issue: quantexpd* functions may have the exponent > INT_MAX so the
return type would not work (overflow)
  *I can send a note suggesting _DecimalN as the return type
  Type generic should be looked at still.

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative for Canada
C Compiler Development
Contact: rbhakta at ca.ibm.com, Rajan Bhakta/Toronto/IBM
Telephone: (905) 413-3995