[Numeric-interest] DISAPPROVE vote on 754R draft 1.7.0

David Hough 754R work 754r at ucbtest.org
Sun Mar 23 17:04:24 PDT 2008

I have voted to DISAPPROVE the current draft 1.7.0 or 754R.

I am indebted to two of my colleagues whose perceptive reviews of clause 10 of draft 1.6.0
shamed me into taking a closer look into material that had been out of sight and out of
mind for me and apparently for most of my other colleagues.

What I found was a professional embarrassment that doesn't reflect well on any of the
participants (except those two perceptive reviewers).     This clause is not ready
for publication, and more than an isolated patch is required to remedy it.

The issue is not the content, which I mostly agree with to the extent I can infer it,
but the exposition, which seems destined to discourage readers and implementers.

The readers digest version of my commentary is:

http://754r.ucbtest.org/msc-ballots/ballot6a.xml

Those interested in details may find them in eventually in a document whose content and
supporting documentation are still being revised:

http://754r.ucbtest.org/msc-ballots/ballot6.html

The Bay Area Scientific Computing Day in a week will provide
an opportunity to discuss these matters (and many others) further:

http://math.berkeley.edu/bascd08/Program.htm