numeric Overloading [] for multiple subscripts in C++

Gabriel Dos Reis Gabriel.Dos-Reisadptmaths.ens-cachan.fr
Tue Jun 5 04:55:34 PDT 2001

dhoughadgh.Eng.Sun.COM writes:

| Received via Jim Thomas:
|

| Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:09:09 -0700
| To: jimthomasacup.hp.com
| From: Bill Gibbons <billagibbons.org>
| Subject: Overloading [] for multiple subscripts in C++
|
| The C++ committee is currently discussing changing the rules for overloading
| "operator []" so that you could use multiple subscripts.

Hi Bill,

That extension won't change anything fundamental since we're already
used to overload operator() and there are existing practice in other
numerical languages.

Actually, it will be a great benefit if the C++ language adds better
support (read semnatics not syntax) for numerical computing such as
LIA-{1, 2, 3} bindings, interval arithmetics, resolve the defects
concerning valarray.

--
Gabriel Dos Reis                   |  Centre de Mathématiques et de
dosreisacmla.ens-cachan.fr         |         Leurs Applications