INTERVAL'96

Michael Lerch uunet!cork!lerch
Mon Oct 9 03:18:32 PDT 1995

                    >>> I N T E R V A L '96 <<<

         >>>  FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL FOR PAPERS  <<<

        |         INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON            |
        |  INTERVAL  METHODS AND COMPUTER AIDED PROOFS   |
        |           IN SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING           |
        |              SEP 30 - OCT 2, 1996              |
        |               WUERZBURG, GERMANY               |

                           ORGANIZED BY

- Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Wuerzburg University
- The Editorial Board of the International Journal "Reliable Computing"

         The following scientists have agreed to join the

                         PROGRAM COMMITTEE

                             Chairmen:
            R.B.Kearfott (USA), V.M.Nesterov (Russia),
                  J.Wolff von Gudenberg (Germany)

     G.Alefeld (Germany), G.Corliss (USA), B.Dobronets (Russia),
     H.Hong (Austria), U.Kulisch (Germany), S.Markov (Bulgaria),
    A.Neumaier (Austria), W. Older (Canada), H.Ratschek (Germany),
     S.Rump (Germany), S.Shary (Russia), C.Ullrich (Switzerland)

              Local organizer:  J.Wolff von Gudenberg

                      INTERVAL'XX-CONFERENCES

  The  conferences INTERVAL'XX are    significant meetings devoted  to
various aspects of reliable   numerical   computations based  on   the
interval  approach.   (Sometimes    the  terms validated     numerics,
localizational computations, or enclosure methods are used). Talks are
devoted to  development   of  corresponding  mathematical  structures,
design of computer tools, and applications in a wide range of areas.

  The first  conference was held in  September 1992 near  Moscow, with
impressive success.  Papers were presented by 106 participants from 17
countries throughout the world. It was decided to hold the INTERVAL'XX
conferences biannually.    The INTERVAL'92 conference  emphasized  the
relation of interval computations   to mathematical statistics.   (The
complete title of the conference  was "INTERVAL AND STOCHASTIC METHODS
IN SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING").

  The  INTERVAL'94 conference    emphasized interdisciplinary research
with  computer algebra.(The   complete   title of the  conference  was
"INTERVAL AND COMPUTER ALGEBRAIC METHODS IN SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING").
It  took place March 6-11,  1994 in St.Petersburg, Russia.  There were
more than 120 talks presented by participants from 18 countries.

  INTERVAL'96  will focus on  computer  assisted  proofs ranging  from
symbolic computation  through rigorous error estimation, and including
different paradigms such  as functional and  logic programming as well
as solution of  constraint systems.  The traditional interval approach
will appear as one important aspect common to  most of the approaches.
Although   papers  may be   restricted  to one    of  these topics, we
especially  encourage the  submission of   reports on  combination  of
several approaches.

  Interval  constraints,   e.g.,  provides an  efficient   model   for
computing reliable bounds for numerical constraint systems. It opens a
way of  application of interval  arithmetic for commercial rather than
scientific problems.    The  combination of  control theory   and game
theory together with interval or standard  numerical methods to obtain
reliable  inclusions may be  quoted as another  example of interesting
applications.

                                TOPICS

  The  following  topics   will be  considered:  interval mathematics,
hardware  and software  for  interval and  computer-algebraic methods,
SC-languages, logic   constraint    programming,  interval  modelling,
interval  constraints,  computer  aided  proofs  in analysis, interval
algorithms    in  control  theory,   organization  of symbolic-numeric
interfaces,  programming environments  for   scientific computing, and
applications  in various fields of  science and engineering as well as
commercial issues.

                            TIME AND PLACE

  The Conference  will  be held  September 30  -  October 2,  1996  in
Wuerzburg, Germany.  Wuerzburg  is a baroque  city with many  restored
and well-preserved buildings; the most  famous of which is the  former
bishops residence with  its beautiful staircase.  Excursions  to other
beautiful cities such as Rothenburg may be organised.

                                 FEES
  Information on registration fee for the  conference, hotel and other
costs will be sent in further announcements.

                    EXTENDED ABSTRACTS AND PAPERS

  Two copies of an extended abstract  of maximum 2 pages are requested
for selection purposes.  The deadline will be May 1, 1996.  Electronic
submission is strongly recommended.  A LaTex format will be  available
via WWW (see  address below). A  collection of extended abstracts will
be printed before the conference.  Refereed proceedings including full
versions of selected papers will be published after the conference.

                              LANGUAGES

  The official language is English.

IF YOU WISH TO GET MORE DETAILED AND CURRENT INFORMATION, LOOK AT WWW:

          http://www.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/interval96

OR WRITE:

Prof. Dr. J. Wolff v. Gudenberg

email: wolffainformatik.uni-wuerzburg.de

Mail address:
  Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik II
  Universitaet Wuerzburg
  Am Hubland