IEEE double extended forma

John R. Levine uunet!iecc.cambridge.ma.us!johnl
Wed May 5 07:38:06 PDT 1993

>> The IEEE standard 754 does not specify an exact format for double extended
>> but only gives some minimum requirements.  It appears to me that a de facto
>> standard has emerged: {128 bits]

Depends where you look.  If you're counting CPUs, the clear winner is the
80 bit format used in the 8087 and its descendants.  The runner-up is
probably the 96 bit format used in some other micros.

One can make arguments for a quad format, but it's overkill and not really
existing practice for double extended.

Regards,
John Levine, johnlaiecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl