J11/J11.1 merger update

Rex Jaeschke uunet!aussie.COM!rex
Thu Jun 17 12:41:28 PDT 1993

In light of renewed interest in combining X3J11.1 into X3J11, recently I
asked voting members of each committee to indicate their preference on
a merger.  The results were as follows:

				  X3J11.1	   X3J11
				Yes	No	Yes	No
Convex (Torkelson)		Yes		Yes
Cray Research (MacDonald)	Yes		Yes
DEC Professional (Jaeschke)	Yes		Yes
DECUS (Mione)					Yes
Digital (Meyers)		Yes		Yes
Farance (Farance)		Yes		Yes
Hough				Yes
HP (Kwan)			Yes		Yes
IBM (Molenda)					Yes
IBM (Tydeman)				No
Keaton				Yes		Yes
Livermore (Stanberry)		Yes		Yes
SDRC (Jones)			Yes		Yes
				10	1	11	0

I am assuming that those who did not send me their preference, don't care
either way and would not be opposed to a merger.

Given the overwhelming Yes vote and after having discussed the issue with
Tom Plum, I am proceding along the lines of a merger. I don't know what it
will take yet, but probably will involve a letter ballot from each
committee. My goal is to have the committees merged by year's end,
possibly before the Dec meeting.

The practical implications of the merger are:

1. X3J11.1 would be disbanded and Tom MacDonald would vacate his role as
   vice chair of J11.1, retiring to Lake Wobegon, MN.
2. I will renew my membership to J11.1 for 1993 and chair the Dec meeting
   on the assumption it will be held as a J11.1 meeting. (If the
   committees are merged by then, I'll be chairing all 5 days anyway given
   my recent appointment as J11 chair.)
3. After Jan 1, numerical papers will use J11 document numbering.
4. After Jan 1, numerical papers will be part of J11 mailings. And since
   these are done by CBEMA for an annual fee, only those members fully paid
   up will receive mailings.
5. J11.1 members who are not currently J11 members will pay an annual fee
   (currently $50 or $75, I believe) for duplication and mailing of docs.
6. Everyone on J11 should pay no more in X3/International fees and most
   will likely pay $300 less.
7. Future meetings of J11 would be 5 days, requiring members to attend at
   least 3 out of the 5 to count as official attendance. By the time the
   numeric workload slows down, it will be time to start work on a revised
   standard so the 5-day schedule could conceivably stay in place for quite
   a while.
8. Hosts for future meetings must be prepared to host for 5 days instead
   of 2 for J11.1 and 3 for J11.
9. I see no reason why the J11.1 DPCE subgroup cannot continue to meet
   separately as an ad hoc group even after the merger, provided they
   present a status report at each formal meeting.

I'll keep you posted on developments as they occur.

Rex

(703) 860-0091  |           Rex Jaeschke              | C and C++ Seminars
rexaaussie.com  |        2051 Swans Neck Way          | and Consulting
                |     Reston, Virginia 22091, USA     |