range syntax for C

Michael Meissner uunet!osf.org!meissner
Fri Jan 3 07:01:06 PST 1992

|  > > Can anyone suggest a delimiter other than colon or ellipsis
|  > > that looks natural for the usage and is usable in all contexts?
|  >
|  > We could fix the *^%&%&$^# ANSI C preprocessor and use ellipsis.
|
| No.  You must accept the preprocessor as given for the next few years.
| (9 I think at this time.)  Or you have to redo the whole stuff about
| pp-numbers in a way that makes strictly conforming programs still
| strictly conforming.  Some have tried before, but failed (or the
| ANSI committee was not willing to listen).

My memory is that pp-numbers were created as a patch to fix an even
more glaring problem (though it's been 3-4 years, and I don't remember
exactly what the problem is).

While it's not clean, one suggestion might be just require a space
between the numbers and the elipsis '...'.  This is what C did in V6
for the =- operator.

In terms of new tokens, you could use something like:

	<->
	<=>