881/2 produces unnormalized outputs???

Stuart Mcdonald mcdonaldarenoir.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Apr 7 23:30:48 PDT 1990

I stand corrected.  Although I wasn't using FMOVEMs, the Debugger was!
Thank you Eric for solving the mystery.  The 881 IS normalizing like
it should when writing to memory.  Sorry to bother everyone.

-Stuart McDonald

------------------
> 		3F81 20000000 00000000
>
> with SINGLE precision mode set.  Even writing this extended to memory
> won't normalize it while precision mode is set to SINGLE!  Of course,
> writing it to a single or double precision variable will (sub)normalize
> it properly since singles and doubles have no redundant encodings.

You are appearently using FMOVEM FPx,<ea> when you should be using
FMOVE.X FPx,<ea> to move out the extended format.

FMOVEM  FPx,<ea> gives you a raw copy of the FPx register in extended.
FMOVE.X FPx,<ea> normalizes and rounds to the destination precision
		 which in this case is extended.

The precision modes (eg. round to SINGLE) have no effect on these instructions.

	Eric Quintana                            ...!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!eric